Oficina de Ministerio Hispano
North Platte Catholic Offices
1225 S. Poplar
North Platte, NE 69101
Office of Hispanic Ministry Mission Statement
We will Value, Dignify, and show Reverence to the human person advocating for healthy relations and mutual respect among all.
As representatives of the Diocese of Grand Island we will pray and promote the glory of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit
by serving as a vessel of God’s will to give hope and a future to our Hispanic brothers and sisters by efforts in evangelization,
works of mercy, and education so that we may grow and learn together to make a positive, beneficial, and effective impact in our
Community and our World.
WHY WE NEED HISPANIC MINISTRY
Statistics on Hispanic/Latino(a) Catholics
· Hispanics/Latinos(as) are present in practically every diocese of the United States.
· More than 20% of all Catholic parishes in the United States have Hispanic/Latino(a) ministry.
· More than 80% of all dioceses have diocesan staff coordinating Hispanic/Latino(a) ministry.
· Hispanics/Latinos(as) compose more than 35% of all Catholics in the United States.
· Hispanics/Latinos(as) have contributed 71% of the growth of the Catholic Church in the United States since 1960.
· More than 50% of all Catholics in the United States under age 25 are of Hispanic/Latino(a) descent.
· To date, 40 Hispanic/Latino bishops have been ordained in the United States, 28 of whom are active.
They make up 9% of all Catholic bishops in the United States.
· Over the past few years, 15% of all new priests ordained in the United States have been of Hispanic/Latino(a) descent.
· Hispanics/Latinos(as) constitute 25% of all laypeople engaged in diocesan ministry programs.
· More than two-thirds (68%) of all Hispanics/Latinos(as) in the United States consider themselves to be Roman Catholics.
· The estimated Hispanic/Latino(a) population of the United States as of July 2007 is 45.5 million.
· It is projected that Hispanics/Latinos(as) will surpass the 102.6 million mark by the year 2050.
Sources: www.usccb.org/hispanicaffairs; U.S. Census Bureau
Parishes with Spanish and/or Bilingual Masses
St. Mary’s Cathedral
112 S. Cedar Street
Grand Island, NE 68802
St. James Church
3801 Avenue A
Kearney, NE 68847
St. Ann’s Church
303 E. 6th St.
Lexington, NE 68850
Our Lady of Guadalupe
1102 12th Avenue
Scottsbluff, NE 69361
Sacred Heart Church
Mission of Wood River
508 B. Street
Shelton, NE 68876